Other Scheduling Options

Students should plan for these OTHER Activities within their course schedule (priority to 11/12 grade students)


Students may choose to engage in independent coursework with a PVPA teacher following the guidelines on the PVPA INDEPENDENT STUDY FORM.


Students who wish to study a subject that is not regularly offered at PVPA may choose to pursue some alternate options as specified on the PVPA OFFSITE COURSE FORM, including:


Students may elect to take courses through accredited higher education institutions. A standard one-semester course generally translates into 5 PVPA credits. Any off-site coursework requires a documentation and approval process. Course descriptions and/or syllabi are required to ensure courses meet PVPA requirements. Course grades appear on PVPA transcripts as indicated on transcripts/grade reports (e.g., B+), do not follow the PVPA grading system, and are not averaged into the student’s Grade Point Average. If opportunities arise for free courses, the PVPA guidance department will inform eligible students. Students participating in off-site courses are allowed to leave the school for their classes and return afterwards in amendment of the attendance policies.


Pioneer Valley Performing Arts CPS offers students, on a limited basis, the chance to take online classes via the Virtual High School Collaborative (VHS). VHS courses follow a set academic calendar, but students can complete their work online at any time day or night, as long as they meet their VHS teachers’ specified due dates. Slots will be allocated to students via a lottery process. Interested students should first take a survey that gauges their interest and commitment to independent learning.


High school students may earn school service credit as teaching assistants in an academic course for which they have already earned credit, or arts credit as teaching assistants in 7/8 arts classes.


High school students may earn school service credit as peer tutors in an academic support class (Math Support or Homework Support).


Students who wish to have early dismissal in their schedule must fill out the Early Dismissal/Late Arrival Permission Form (found in the school’s website under “Documents and Forms” on the “For Students” and “For Parents” tab), have a parent/guardian sign it, and return it to the Director of Student Affairs. Please see the Student/Family Handbook for more details.